Friday, June 17, 2005

Commuting in Madrid

The apartment we have is quite a ways away from the Convention Center where I have been working this week. As we almost always do, we stay where we want to be in our off time, not to minimize commute time to the work we have to attend. I have found that this is the best way to keep from being wrapped up by work, and to have time to do the things you want to do in your own time.

This means, however, that you sometimes need to learn some local commuting skills. For my commute in the morning I had to take three different Metro (subway) lines. The local one is an old, small, and un-air conditioned line. The second one, (where I only am one for two stops) is a fairly modern one with nominal air conditioning. The last one is brand new, big and luxurious and pretty well air conditioned. It is also the longest leg of the trip. Though I get off at the third stop, I am on that train for about 20 minutes.

I have never relied on public transportation for my regular commute in any of my regular jobs. It is interesting to experience in small doses, though. It is different than the way Doreen and I use the metro as tourists. When we do that, we are usually off peak and not in any hurry to get anywhere in particular time. So we are casual Metro riders.

However, Tuesday morning I was riding in the teeth of rush hour. The show opens at 9:00 and the website for the Madrid Metro said that it would take 25 minutes on the route I specified. I didn’t really believe that, so I left the house at 8:25. (Well, I left at 8:20, but forgot something and had to go back). When I got to my stop, there were people EVERYWHERE! I got to the platform where my train was leaving and there were folks two deep along the whole thing. I stood and waited. A train arrived in a timely fashion. It was packed – standing room only and folks were really jammed together. Remember, this is the un-air conditioned train. The doors opened, folks streamed out, and more of us forced our way on. There was nobody left on the platform as the train lurched away.

I am on that line for four stops. Every stop, about 20 people leave and enter from every car. It is a madhouse! The few people who are sitting down are really in luxury. I reach my exchange station, and force my way off. I walk about five minutes (which is an amazingly long time when you are going up, down, and over to find you next platform) to the next waiting area. It is jammed about THREE people deep. The train comes, and you can see it is JAM PACKED as well. Wow. People flow off, people flow on. There really is a method to this madness you can see. People who do this everyday understand how it works, and it is almost a dance. I am clogging while everyone else is doing the tango, however. Anyway – I force my way on and stand for two short stops.

I get off on my last exchange station, and work my way (walking briskly, mind you. NOBODY ambles at rush hour) to the final leg. The long leg. And, what do you think? The train is JAM PACKED! This is the same train that goes to the airport. It IS nice, it IS big, and it is filled to capacity. This is the only station where folks get left on the platform because the train is too full. I stand, wearily, warily, for the long leg. I finally make it to the show, and it is 9:15. That is one long commute.

You get use to riding like this, the route you take, where to stand on one platform to minimize walking distance on the next platform. I can see how you just get use to it. Which is a good thing, because today, the last day we are in Madrid, on my first exchange stop – all the lights are out. And I mean OUT. It is mostly black with a few exit signs illuminated. So what would a thinking man do? Leave the station, right? Well, not exactly. Since I knew where I was going, I stumbled in the dark with all the other commuters. You can’t read the signs as there is no light. If you don’t know where you are supposed to be, well too bad for you.

I got up and down the stairs without falling, and the train was waiting at the station, more or less empty! I got on (no seats, but nobody pushing me in my back, either) and waited. And waited. And waited. Finally, they made an announcement that the train would be leaving in fifteen minutes. AND IT DID! The next two trains were JAM PACKED, as this station caused a big backup in the system. But I made it, got off the train, and thought to myself, “This will make a good story”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home